You’re dreaming of a perfect porch. Another bathroom or extra bedroom would be life-changing. You want your next home to meet your needs and feel like yours in every way. With homes in Utah County selling so quickly, your odds of an accepted offer on a home with all your dream features are lower than you may like. If you want to ensure your new home has all of the upgrades on your list, the best bet is a custom home.
10X Builders builds gorgeous custom homes and residential remodels in Utah County. If you’re considering building your own home, there are several aspects to think about before you feel ready to pick up the phone. 10X Builders is happy to use our years of area expertise to equip you with everything you need to know to about building a custom home.
Is Now a Good Time to Build a Custom Home in Utah County?
Some clients are leery about building a Utah County home in 2022. Many site the elevation in the cost of building materials, particularly construction lumber costs. We’ve got good news. 2022 into 2023 might be the sweet spot where pandemic-related demand and supply chain restrictions ease before interest rates increase for financing. We’ve explored this topic in great detail in our analysis of the 2022 construction market here.
What Does it Cost to Build a Custom Home?
The average cost to build a house in Utah is about $372,000, but many custom homes cost considerably more. This figure does not include your lot or the work to make it buildable. A local builder is best equipped to help you understand how much the custom build you’re considering will cost.
How Do You Finance A Custom Home?
Loans for new construction are structured differently than traditional mortgages. Unlike mortgages on existing homes, lots must be purchased separately. A lot loan has different interest rates and terms than an occupied property. So too does a new construction loan. Financing your new construction is also a unique process. New construction loans are often short-term and bought out after construction by a traditional mortgage that consolidates payments on your lot and home. Some new construction loans convert to a mortgage after the build is over. Consult your financial team so that you make the best choice for your situation.
What is the Process to Build a Custom Home?
Early steps to building a custom home often look a little different between contractors but follow the same general pattern. Your builder can provide you with a more detailed custom home checklist. We can only speak to our own tried-and-true methods. Here is the order of events you can expect when beginning a custom home with 10X.
- Secure pre-approval for financing if needed
- Find a lot
- Design the perfect home for your budget and location
- Secure permits for your proposed home
- Break ground
We did a deep dive into the specifics of the entire process, from the initial conversation to the final walk-through, with our Custom Home Building Process Guide. If you’re interested in the timeline and step-by-step process here, download our complimentary guide for future reference.
What Should I Look for When Choosing a Custom Home Builder?
Fit matters when you select a construction company for your Utah custom home. While it’s important to choose a reputable builder, it’s also important to find the best builder for you. You need to feel comfortable communicating and confident that your builder has the skills to execute your vision.
- Look for an Experienced Builder- Choose a builder that has been operating in your area for at least a few years. Their community connections, professional relationships, and experience directly benefit your build.
- Do Some Internet Stalking- Check out online reviews to find a few candidates that consistently keep clients raving. Examine their online presence. Does their work speak to you? Have they demonstrated the capability to produce the results you’re looking for?
- Consider Your First Meeting a Mutual Interview- Your builder is learning about you while you are learning about them. How do you feel when interacting? Does your building team explain the basics of construction well? The investment in a custom home is often the largest expense of your lifetime. You deserve a partner that elevates this process, not your blood pressure when the phone rings.
- Interview Past Clients- It is valuable to gather experience from a client’s perspective. They may provide your best insights into your upcoming experience. Even better, you may be able to take a look at living examples of your builder’s work.
What Questions to Ask When Buying a Custom Home
Interviewing a prospective builder is important work. Here are some questions many people don’t know to ask. We wish we were asked some of these questions more often because answering them gives us an opportunity to show off.
- How long will my project take?
- Who is the main contact person for my project? How do they communicate with clients?
- How do you handle change orders?
- Do you have in-house architects or designers or preferred partners?
- Do you help with finding lots/land?
- What warranties do you offer?
- Can you provide proof of your qualifications and insurance?
- How many similar projects have you done?
- What proportion of your projects finish on time?
- When and how do you use subcontractors?
- Are there custom features you offer, recommend, or specialize in?
Custom Home Builders in Utah County
If you’re looking for the best custom home builder in Utah County, you’ve found us! 10X Builders makes building your own home in Utah County a treasured experience. Are you ready to live in your own work of art? Reach out here to tell us more about your custom home dreams.